Activities

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Miranda
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Activities

Post by Miranda » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:49 pm

Activities proposed so far:

Art Show
Bingo
Book Sales
Boys & Girls Club
Classes (Art, Woodworking, etc.)
Concerts
Court Cases & Hearings
Craft Shows
Dances (Classes, Line, Square, Tango)
Debates
Driving/DUI Classes
Educational Seminars
Elections
Emergency Shelter
EMS/Fire/Disaster Training
Fairlee Fireman’s Follies
Farmer’s Market
Flea Market / Rummage Sales
Fundraisers
Knitting
Live Music
Movies
Paper airplane competition
Parties
Playing with Legos
Potluck – Get to Know Your Neighbors
Plays
Prom for Grown-Ups
Quilt Shows
Remote Control Car & Truck Races
Robotics
Scout Meetings
Senior Activities
Sleepovers
Talent Show
Town Meetings
VFW
Veterans Day Celebration
Weddings
Workshops
Yoga (Adults & Kids)
Zumba

Denis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Activities

Post by Denis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:57 pm

A couple related ideas:
- Summer programs for kids of all ages
- VINS Nature Center presentations
- Lectures by people from the Vermont Humanities Council Speakers Bureau

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am

Sorry to be late diving into these discussions! Have you talked about the opportunities to rent the space out, both as a component of our programming and as a source of revenue? As I recall from town meetings on the bond issue, there was said to be a significant demand from area performing/teaching/presenting organizations for venues like ours. I should think that would be a big part of our program and business plans and an important consideration in our negotiation of financial considerations with the Town.

Denis

Post by Denis » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:39 pm

I believe we all realize that a variety of individuals, organizations, and even businesses may be interested in using the space. The town currently has a policy on renting out the grange room (Miranda has posted that agreement elsewhere in this forum) but clearly there will need to be a fee schedule and associated policies drafted for use the auditorium.

Miranda

Post by Miranda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 am

Possible events-
Annual Shine your Light storytelling, now held at the Bradford Auditorium - contact info in article:
http://www.vnews.com/Sharing-Stories-fr ... s-14693355

Contradances:
Muskeg Music, P.O. Box 778, Hanover, NH 03755
The Board:
Melinda Ricker, Rick Barrows, Andy Behrens, David McGaw, David Beaufait , David Schwartzman

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 am

How about a community sing, or monthly sings, as a way to bring people together: old-time favorites, camp songs, spirituals, folk songs, holiday tunes in December-- led by directors of some of our regional choral groups with instrumental accompaniment.

Denis

Post by Denis » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:39 pm

Good idea on the group singing, Lynne!

I have a completely unrelated idea that I'm jotting here so that I don't forget. I have a friend whose husband does a killer Mark Twain impersonation. I'm sure we could get him to come and read some Twain works in character and/or talk about Twain's life. This person worked for several years at the Mark Twain house in Hartford.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 pm

Anyone who hasn't already might want to take a look at Catamount Arts website for the mix of activities they offer. In addition to their film series, many of the national and international theater, opera, and dance events are also on-screen and therefore probably both easy and inexpensive to offer. We might want to consider doing the same, thereby giving families in our region opportunities to experience this level of performance, possibly for the first time in some cases.

The majority of Catamount's live performances seem to be musical, ranging from classical to jazz and bluegrass. I think I counted about a dozen of these during the spring. Of course, they have multiple theaters and a staff, but we could probably offer 3 a season, plus a regular film series, maybe one social event, and a presentation by local (or VT Humanities Council) historian, scientist, writer, etc. Just a thought...

Catamount also offers a lot of creative workshops, especially during school breaks. Town Hall may not have good workshop spaces but we could see about teaming up with Sam to offer some at the Library, supplementing the ones she does if we wanted to get kids involved.*

And Catamount is part of several partnerships and collaborations, like the poetry one in St. J.

* As for involving kids, I wonder if we could start a regional children's Shakespeare festival like the one we ran every year at the Folger Shakespeare Library in DC where I worked for 13 years. We had one for elementary classes from schools across the DC region and one for high school classes. Each class prepared a scene from one of the plays at the culmination of an in-school history or literature unit. Then they came together in our Elizabethan Theatre (a Globe Theatre replica) to perform their scenes for each other over a three-week period in the spring. The kids loved it! Loved the language, loved the swords, loved being on stage, loved mastering something they hadn't thought they could, and ended up loving Shakespeare and poetry. And if you do something with kids, you bring the parents and siblings along as well. It's a great audience-builder.

Miranda

Valentine creation

Post by Miranda » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 pm

I love this idea from Catamount Arts
Lots of papers, ribbons and lacy doilies will make it easy for adults and children to create this Valentine card, which adds an inner pocket to make or decorate. Your secret message goes in the pocket! Supplies to produce a “vintage” or more up-to-date card will be available.
This event is FREE (donations to help pay for supplies are greatly appreciated).
Families welcome. Pre-registration encouraged, so we can stock up on supplies. Children 8 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
To register, please call 802-748-2600 ext. 109 or email acampbell@catamountarts.org.