Seating

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Miranda
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Seating

Post by Miranda » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Talk about seating here

Denis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Seating

Post by Denis » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:27 pm

Wenger Corporation is one potential resource for seating (and other theater-related stuff). I'm familiar with their musical products. Their stuff is typically very expensive but also extremely well-built and durable. Here's a link to their product catalog: https://issuu.com/wengercorp/docs/2013- ... rming_arts - see catalog pages 28-29 (will show as pages 30-31 in catalog browser) for portable seating...

There are probably several potential sources. A Google search also brought me to Sandler Seating, which has chairs with some nice features: https://www.sandlerseating.com/audience

Key features to consider:
  • Comfort - they need to be comfortable!
  • Stackability or storage - it would be nice if we could put them on a rack of some sort; it may be possible to build a ramp that would enable us to wheel the chair rack onto the stage (behind the curtain) for storage if we had an event that required use of the entire floor
  • Interlocking capability - we may want to link the chairs together in some situations (and it probably helps with keeping rows straight)
  • Numbering - we may need seats to be numbered for certain events

MJung

Post by MJung » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

The double rolled steel folding chair from Sandler Seating is very similar to other chairs I found in my research. Sandler's version or something comparable might give us the most flexibility with seating arrangements. We may also want to consider weight of individual chair and rack once fully loaded.

Denis

Post by Denis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Also, we will probably want upholstered (fabric) seats, to help with sound absorption.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:28 am

I'm belatedly peeking at this discussion... I assume you don't like the stacking chairs the Town already has? They aren't very comfortable but they could serve until we decide what we want. As for sound absorption, it might have to be the bodies on the chairs. Added cushioning would probably come at the expense of portability and store-ability, which will be important.

Denis

Post by Denis » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:52 pm

What type of stacking chairs does the town have, and how many of them? While some type of chair is obviously needed and we clearly don't have money at the moment to purchase new seating, getting something appropriate to a performance venue must be a top priority. We all know that first impressions matter, and as was mentioned at a previous meeting, we're going to have a hard time getting people (audience/participants) to return if they are uncomfortable during the first event they attend. There are chairs with fabric that are still foldable/stackable. With such a live space (lots of wood), the extra sound absorption would help prevent sound from bouncing off everything. Bodies in the space would help also, but only if the chairs are filled.

Lynne

Post by Lynne » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 am

I'll try to get a more complete description (and some photos) of what the Town has tomorrow when I talk with Georgette about placement of our table at Town Meeting.

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:50 am

My mother is at Kendal and they have lovely and comfortable seating in their common activities area. My guess is that it is very expensive but worth exploring. An issue to consider is where to store and what to do with the historic wooden chairs. I agree that chairs are a long way out in terms of priorities -- and in their place, how about having a competition/event/??? to create homemade cushions for the chairs? (I have no idea how to do so, but another way to connect individuals to the space.)

Denis

Post by Denis » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Cathy: If you have an opportunity to do a little digging, perhaps you could see if someone at Kendal can give you the specs on their chairs (where they got them, what the brand/model is, etc).

As for seat cushions, that's an Interesting idea. I played in the pit for a show at Chandler Hall in Randolph recently and noticed their approach to wooden seating; they "rent" cushions for something like $1 that people could use during the show. Not sure we'd want to rent cushions, but maybe people would want to buy one and use it at home also.